about

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Breakfast

Bismillah (in the name of God)
  
  I try my best to offer healthy delicious breakfast to my family. I make oatmeal porridge, smoothies and boiled eggs, homemade granola with yogourt, and chocolate/banana/ soaked oats pancakes for breakfast lately. The pancakes are what i specifically want to share about today. The night before i leave 2 cups of oats and 2 tablespoons of spelt soaking in water and apple cider vinegar, and i take this extra step to reduce phytic acid (an anti nutrient found in many grains, nuts, seeds, etc.) It really only takes a minute or two to get this ready the night before breakfast is to be made. 

   In the morning, I wash the oats in a colander and then add them to a blender along with two over ripe bananas, two eggs, 2/3 cups of milk, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a generous squirt of vanilla. Blend it all till smooth, let it rest for five minutes and then cook on a hot cast iron pan with butter. They're delicious with fruit and a little maple syrup. 


   I hope you give them a try and feel free to double this recipe or half it according to your family size. The measurements I used made enough for my four children and myself to eat for two breakfasts. What else can a mama ask for?

   What are some of your favourite recipes for breakfast? 

No comments:

Post a Comment